Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Our Anniversary Trip

Last week we took a small trip to Jefferson, Texas to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary.  Jefferson is a small town located about 45 miles south of us.  At one time passenger trains came through regularly and it was a busy, thriving town.  Now it is a slice of Americana with lots of history.  It also has a lovely downtown full of antiques and unique shops.  We stayed at one of the many bed & breakfasts.  The Claiborne House was just splendid and our room was gorgeous!


From just inside the front door.


I enjoyed bubble baths in this wonderful tub.




This is the upstairs landing from the doorway of our room.

Downstairs to the left of the stairs.

One of the lovely porches.

The breakfasts we indulged in were wonderful.  The first morning we were provided with strawberry soup, egg souffles, roasted potatoes, bacon, and fruit.  The second morning we were given peach soup, banana nut waffles, sausage, and fruit.  It was absolutely delicious!





The first day we did a bit of shopping at Old Mill Antiques, visited the fudge shop, rested in our room, and enjoyed the 4th of July festivities.  We watched the children's bicycle parade, ate snow cones and Italian lemon ice, listened to the live band from Shreveport, and enjoyed the most spectacular fireworks!

My favorite place to shop in Jefferson!

Bicycle parade and square all decorated for the 4th!

Shreveport band playing lots of marches and patriotic music.

My favorite of all my firework pics. 



Our second day we shopped and shopped and shopped some more.  We found lots of treasures including the art of Kelly Rae Roberts.  Mrs. Roberts has written a book called "Taking Flight:  Inspiration + Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings."  A friend gave me this book and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have done several of the projects.  It is also responsible for encouraging me to learn to paint and draw.  I was thrilled to discover that Blessings carries her work.  Naturally, I had to bring a piece home.

This is the piece I brought home.

We also had a delightful meal at Kitt's Kornbread Sandwich & Pie Shop.  They have the most delicious sandwiches and a lovely atmosphere.  My sandwich was called the Redneck. It is fried bologna and American cheese on brocoli cornbread.  It was wonderful.  The restaurant itself felt a little like a country Italian cafe.  The walls were made to look like broken/cracked plaster with exposed bricks and were covered with lovely paintings.  It had copper ceiling tiles and played music that reminded me of the movie "Return to Me."  Think Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra.  Very Old World.

Yummy!!!

My dear, sweet hubby!

Aren't these ceiling tiles just lovely.

At the end of our second day my husband found a typewriter from 1949.  While he was examining the typewriter and deciding whether or not to purchase I was trying to stay cool by standing in front of a box fan.  I noticed a little newspaper and started flipping through it.  I found an ad for a "Gone With the Wind" museum.  Friday morning after loading Micah's new typewriter, my treasures, and the luggage in the car we headed for the Jefferson Visitor's Center to get directions to the "Gone With the Wind Museum."  Upon arriving we were greeted by the owner who was very nice and very knowledgeable.  Then we proceeded to look around.  This place was amazing!!!!  Bobbie Hardy has one of the world's largest private collections of "Gone With the Wind" memorabilia.  This place was wonderful.  If you are a fan of the book or the movie or even just enjoy "Gone With the Wind" you must visit Scarlett O'Hardy's Gone With the Wind Museum.  You can get more info on her website or facebook page. 


Autographed First Edition



My husband playing Godzilla.  The house, of course, is Tara.

Program from the World Premier in Atlanta, GA.


Dirt from Tara.

It was a wonderful trip.  We had so much fun.  We were sorry to see it end and can't wait until next time.  Come back tomorrow for a look at all the wonderful vintage treasures I found.

1 comment: